Articles on this Page
- 11/29/16--11:04: _A Visit to Trunk Cl...
- 11/30/16--09:28: _The One Item Always...
- 11/30/16--14:22: _Need a Break from D...
- 12/03/16--12:02: _Sparkle
- 12/05/16--00:58: _HOLIDAY GIFTS UNDER...
- 12/06/16--20:13: _DRESS MEMO: FALL / ...
- 12/08/16--15:56: _Everyday Holiday Style
- 12/09/16--09:55: _Casual Friday: Velv...
- 12/11/16--23:25: _Classic Glen Plaid ...
- 12/14/16--02:07: _Emerald
- 12/15/16--11:31: _The Shoe Trend of t...
- 12/15/16--23:12: _Casual Friday: Embr...
- 12/19/16--00:08: _The 7 Best Retailer...
- 12/19/16--19:02: _Statement Coat
- 12/27/16--14:33: _Winter Wonderland
- 12/29/16--15:46: _Floral Loafers
- 12/30/16--01:42: _2016: A Retrospective
- 01/03/17--18:08: _Coral Knit in Coronado
- 01/09/17--01:43: _Ivory Blazer and Ch...
- 01/11/17--22:23: _Updated Pants Suit ...
- 11/29/16--11:04: A Visit to Trunk Club’s Incredible NYC Clubhouse
- 11/30/16--09:28: The One Item Always in My Bag
- 11/30/16--14:22: Need a Break from Dresses? Let’s Talk Holiday PANTS
- 12/03/16--12:02: Sparkle
- 12/05/16--00:58: HOLIDAY GIFTS UNDER $50
- REVERSIBLE PLAID SCARF // This reversible scarf is super warm and soft, and is big enough to wear as a shawl. Having two plaid patterns doubles its wearability with styling options galore and makes it the perfect go-with-everything scarf for everyday or traveling! As an alternative, this one is super similar and crazy cute too.
- TRAVEL STEAMER // I got this clothing steamer last year for traveling, and I haven’t traveled without it since. It’s the perfect compact size, and de-wrinkles my stuff in no time! Such a great gift for the traveler.
- SILK PILLOWCASE // If you haven’t heard about the benefits of silk pillow cases, listen up: silk fibers are less absorbent than other fibers, so these pillowcases help your skin retain moisture and nutrients from the products you apply before bed. ALSO, unlike ordinary pillowcases, smooth, slippery silk doesn’t stretch and tug on delicate facial skin and doesn’t pull and tangle your hair throughout the night. With these babies, you can officially kiss bedhead goodbye and maintain your hairstyle for much, much longer. I’ve been using this silk pillowcase for months and it has been a total game-changer for my skin and hair. They can get pricey, so I’ve listed this one by Drybar (the hair experts!) which I’ve heard great things about and is under $50. Fantastic price for 100% silk.
- PERFUME GIFT SET // Ok, so I broke the $50 rule on this perfume gift set, but only by $15 (it’s only $65!). However, I had to include it here because I think it’s one of the absolute best gifts you can give. Here’s the deal: Sephora puts together fifteen samples (really good-sized samples) of their best-selling perfumes (we’re talking Tom Ford, Tory Burch, Chloe, Prada… only the best of the best) and includes with the samples a gift certificate for one full-sized perfume. This way, the recipient has the opportunity to test out all of the best perfumes and get a full-sized bottle of her favorite! Genius! (If you have to stay south of $50, check out this amazing set that I love at only $45.)
- FRESHWATER CULTURED PEARL NECKLACE // This is a beautiful gift for any lucky lady on your list. A simple gold chain with a single freshwater pearl makes for the perfect timeless addition to any outfit—in or out of the office.
- MINIMERGENCY KIT // These cute kits make for home-run gifts. The deluxe bridal kit literally saved my wedding day when one of my bridesmaids massively ripped her dress moments before the ceremony, and I always keep the regular minimergency kits (how hilariously cute is this one?!) in my desk, bag, you name it. They also now have a travel kit and a tech kit that are amazing as well.
- MOLTON BROWN LOTION & HAND SOAP // Molton Brown is easily my favorite brand of hand soaps and lotions, and their Christmas Frankincense & All Spice fragrance will blow. your. mind. Whether you give the hand lotion, the hand soap, or both, it’s one of my favorite hostess gifts to give.
- TILE PHONE & KEY FINDER // If losing your keys and/or iPhone were an Olympic sport, Michael Phelps would have nothing on me. These amazing bluet00th-enabled gadgets will ensure you never have trouble finding anything again.
- PEPPERMINT TWIST SNOW TUBE // As a kid from Wisconsin, I can’t think of anything more fun in the winter than sledding and snow tubing. Whether you’re buying for your five-year-old niece or your 65-year-old dad, this is a gift that everyone can get excited about. Check out the rest of their cute tubes (emojis and all!) here and here.
- MOCCASIN SLIPPERS // There’s nothing more glorious than a new pair of slippers, and this pair is no exception. I particularly love these ones because they come in three colors, have super thick (and soft!) faux shearling lining and with rubber bottoms, you can dash outside or run quick errands without having to change your shoes. I am often seen running down to the mailroom or to the next door bakery in these babies!
- BOBBLE INSULATED WATER BOTTLE // You know from this previous post that I’m OBSESSED with these water bottles. They make for a fantastic gift for him or her (they come in multiple colors!) and will be used like crazy—for morning coffee, for bringing soup to the office for lunch, or for keep ice water super cold at the gym. To give you an idea, I filled mine with ice water at 3pm yesterday, drank out of it all evening, added more water before bed, and when I woke up the next morning (8 hours later) the ice cubes from 3pm the day before were still intact. Insanity.
- PIGGY POWER BANK PORTABLE CHARGER // These days, everyone is in need of a little extra juice so all of these adorable portable charger options make for a universally great gift. For a couple bucks more, check out this tassel charger, this cute striped charger or these super popular charging cases.
- KATE SPADE’S ‘ALL IN GOOD TASTE’ // This is another amazing gift for the hostess or anyone! It’s a modern take on all things entertaining, and is packed with amazing information, all wrapped up in loads of Kate Spade cuteness. I’ve given this as a gift several times in the past year, and am ordering a few more to give for the holidays!
- MUAH! TRINKET BOX // Trinket trays and boxes like this one and this one make for the cutest gifts, but are actually really practical too. I keep mine in places throughout the house where I have a tendency to take my rings off, like next to the kitchen sink when I’m cooking or doing dishes. They keep my jewelry safe and also serve as super cute decorative touches.
- MONOGRAMMED SOAPS // For the hostess with the mostess, these monogrammed soaps make for a super thoughtful gift that can been used anytime of year. It’s also a great housewarming gift for newlyweds!
- PEPPERMINT BARK // In case you forgot to snatch some up during the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales, be sure to stock up on these Williams-Sonoma goodies while they’re 20% off right now! Nobody does peppermint bark better than them, and every type comes in the most beautiful vintage tin which makes the gift even sweeter. They have tons of other goodies including absolutely amazing salted caramels and special treats for dog lovers!
- EMOJI COCKTAIL NAPKINS // Another perfect hostess gift, I’m OBSESSED with these linen emoji cocktail napkins. They have everything from the devil emoji, to the angel emoji, to the ever-popular crying-laughing face. Too good.
- NUTELLA COOKBOOK // I mean, do I need to explain why this is a great idea? Two words: NUTELLA CHEESECAKE. Case made.
- TROPICAL COCKTAIL KIT // Need a gift for someone headed to warm weather for the holidays or new years? This kit comes with a cocktail shaker, coasters, ice cubes, umbrellas, straws, stirrers, and drink recipes. All you need to find is a generous bartender…
- CREATE YOUR OWN TUTU KIT // My beadazzling inner ten-year-old freaked out when I saw this. It’s a kit that allows you to make your own tutu. Obviously, this is a fantastic gift for any little girl on your list, but I’m also thinking it would be hilarious/super fun for a bachelorette party!
- JANE AUSTEN’S GUIDE TO GOOD MANNERS // For my fellow anglophiles—those with a particular affinity for 19th century British literature—this gift can’t be beat. The book offers the most charming fictionalized correspondence between Jane Austen and her niece Anna, providing Regency-era advice on all things proper.
- HOT CHOCOLATE TIN + SNOWFLAKE MARSHMALLOWS // Again, Williams-Sonoma knocks it outta the park with the seasonal cuteness. This hot chocolate comes in another one of their adorable vintage tins and these snowflake-shaped marshmallows?! I mean, it just doesn’t get cuter. They have a ton of different hot chocolate flavors, and take a peek through all of the different marshmallows they have! Reindeer?! Snowmen?! I’m dead. All of these cute marshmallows sold out really early last year, so snatch them up while they’re still in stock.
- ADDRESS EMBOSSER // I’m a huge fan of handwritten notes, and absolutely love personalized stationery sets like these, these or these (all under $50!). However, there are tons of beautiful notes (like these!) that can’t be personalized… unless of course you are in possession of the glorious address embosser. This device allows you to stamp your return address on any envelope which adds such a nice personalized touch to every card.
- DIPTYQUE ‘FEU DE BOIS’ CANDLE // Diptyque has long been my favorite line of candles, and their Feu De Bois scent is always my go-to winter scent. However, without a bad scent in the bunch, you have lots to choose from. You can never go wrong with a beautiful candle!
- 12/06/16--20:13: DRESS MEMO: FALL / WINTER 2016
- 12/08/16--15:56: Everyday Holiday Style
- 12/09/16--09:55: Casual Friday: Velvet Blazer
- 12/11/16--23:25: Classic Glen Plaid Coat
- 12/14/16--02:07: Emerald
- 12/15/16--11:31: The Shoe Trend of the Season
- 12/15/16--23:12: Casual Friday: Embroidered Collar
- NORDSTROM – For gift cards and qualifying merchandise, order by Thursday 12/22 at 12PM ET for free delivery by 12/24. Also, remember, Nordstrom has the ability to order online and pick-up in-store. Just click the “In Your Store” icon when shopping to filter items that are available locally for pick-up.
- SHOPBOP – Order by Wednesday 12/21 at 3PM ET for free delivery by 12/24.
- REVOLVE – Order by Wednesday 12/21 at 12PM ET for free delivery by 12/24.
- MACY’S – Order by Wednesday 12/21 at 5PM ET for free delivery by 12/24 on all orders over $49.
- J.CREW – Order by Tuesday 12/20 7PM ET for free delivery by 12/24.
- AMAZON – Order by Thursday 12/22 for Free 2-Day shipping with Prime Membership or Friday 12/23 for Free 1-Day shipping on eligible items with Prime Membership.
- TARGET – Order by Wednesday 12/21 at 4PM ET to get free standard delivery by 12/23.
- 12/19/16--19:02: Statement Coat
- 12/27/16--14:33: Winter Wonderland
- 12/29/16--15:46: Floral Loafers
- 12/30/16--01:42: 2016: A Retrospective
- 01/03/17--18:08: Coral Knit in Coronado
- 01/09/17--01:43: Ivory Blazer and Checked Mini
- 01/11/17--22:23: Updated Pants Suit // Navy Velvet Blazer
You guys know that I’m an enormous Trunk Club fan. In case you missed it, I tried the service out last summer for the first time and offered up a thorough overview of my experience in this post. Now that we’ve moved back to NYC, I wanted to try out the other piece of the Trunk Club pie—the Trunk Club “Clubhouses” that they have in several major cities including Charleston, Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, New York and Washington D.C. With lots of holiday parties and events on the docket, I thought it was the perfect time to get a little help rounding out my holiday wardrobe.
Setting up a Clubhouse visit is actually very similar to the process of ordering a trunk. If you’re new to Trunk Club, you sign up online, fill out a quick style questionnaire and indicate that you’d like to try on your trunk at the local clubhouse instead of having it sent to your home. Trunk Club then connects you with a local stylist who calls to chat with you about your style and learn more about what you’re looking for. Once you and your stylist connect on the phone, they will email you an itemized preview of everything they’re ordering for you so you can provide feedback to the stylist before everything is sent. I talk in much more detail about this process and what a game-changer the preview is in my previous post about Trunk Club, so check it out here for the nitty-gritty. The only thing that’s left to do is to set up a Clubhouse appointment with your stylist to try everything on in person.
I set up an appointment to meet with my stylist Kelsey at the gorgeous NYC Clubhouse (ever-so-casually located at the Villard Mansions in Manhattan) and the experience was amazing. When you first walk in, you’re greeted in a beautiful bar and lounge area where you can relax, order a drink or glass of wine on the house, and take in the beautiful ambiance. (I’m telling you, this place is straight out of Architectural Digest.) Your stylist then brings you to one of many “fitting lounges,” and, let’s just say, this place makes even the nicest department store fitting rooms look like prison cells at Alcatraz. Each fitting lounge is filled with cozy couches and gorgeous decor—each one more beautifully decorated than the next. Honestly, it’s worth an appointment just for the interior design inspiration!
The stylist will have a rack waiting for you in your fitting lounge along with personally-selected bags, shoes, and accessories—all the things you discussed on the phone and previewed and then some! With changing curtains tastefully tucked into the corners of each room, you can try things on and leisurely review all of the pieces with your stylist, ready to listen to your concerns and offer suggestions. While you can certainly come alone, they encourage clients to bring a friend because it’s honestly such a fun experience in a beautiful, relaxed environment (*ahem* did I mention the drinks were on the house?). Many of the fitting lounges have two changing areas, so you and a friend can even set up a double appointment where you can each try on your selections in a fitting lounge together!
Now, I’m all about the convenience of having the trunk sent to your home where you can try things on at your own pace with pieces already in your closet. However, a lot of people combine clubhouse visits and mailed at-home trunks for the optimal Trunk Club experience. Initially, having the in-person experience at a Clubhouse allows you to connect face-to-face with your stylist, giving them the best understanding of what styles look good on you, and what types of clothing and accessories you gravitate towards the most. After visiting the clubhouse once or twice, the trunks sent directly to your home will likely get even better. Personally, I loved hearing my stylist’s opinion on how she thought each piece could be worn, and what styles she thought I should try out. Even for someone like me who lives and breathes fashion every day, it was so helpful to hear someone else’s opinion and get a fresh take on new styles and trends. I think we’re all guilty of getting into style ruts from time to time!
When meeting with my stylist Kelsey in the NYC Clubhouse, she said they also do house calls so they can do a closet review with their clients to get a thorough understanding of what they already have and what they might need. Between this and a Clubhouse visit from time to time, your stylist will develop a super strong ability to suggest things that will be right up your alley.
As you can see from the photos, Kelsey picked out some amazing pieces for me. In addition to a full rack of amazing holiday-ready dresses, blazers, tops and skirts, she also included beautiful coats, vests, shoes, handbags, jewelry and even the cutest convertible mittens. When I think of styling services, for some reason I always just think about the clothes themselves. But with Trunk Club, you can have an entire trunk sent with just accessory suggestions for an upcoming event, or a collection of shoes and bags for your next trip. Not only can you get styling help on literally any area of your closet, but you can also indicate your preferred price range. Whether you’re looking for investment pieces from designer collections or more affordable selections from brands like Topshop or Madewell, they’ll tailor your trunk to both your style and your budget. And at the end of the day, it isn’t a subscription, you don’t pay anything for these completely personalized styling services, and you’re not required to purchase anything from a Clubhouse appointment or a mailed trunk. All upside, my friends.
Thanks to Trunk Club for partnering on this post!
Over the last several years I’ve amassed a fairly embarrassing collection of thermoses and water bottles from sporting events or conferences or gifts here and there. When we were cleaning out our apartment in San Francisco to move back to NYC, I finally purged all of the random (very, very crappy) water bottles, and culled my collection down to the few, the proud, the bobbles.
(RIP weird random Credit Suisse thermos from 2013. I’ll always remember you fondly, especially from the time you leaked and dumped coffee all over the inside of my brand new Tory Burch tote bag.)
While the majority of these items clogging my cabinets bit the dust, as my close friends know, my collection of bobble Insulates and bobble Infuse was not going anywhere. It’s a bit of an inside joke that I love these things so much I now have them in like 6 different colors and variations because I actually never, EVER leave home without them. Even when I’m at home there’s a 99.8% chance a bobble is within a twelve-inch radius of my right hand. Even Rich has fallen victim to their splendor, and I very much enjoy seeing my 6’3″ former-football-player husband gleefully run out the door with a bright coral pink bobble in hand. What?! The silver one was dirty! I don’t care, I freaking love these things! #RealMenWearPink
Whether it’s filling the bobble Insulate with coffee or tea on cold mornings on the way to the office, or re-filling it with ice water at my desk, the hot drinks stay hot and the cold drinks cold. To further illustrate my addiction to these water bottles, there have been many days where I actually leave the house with three bobbles in my bag—one filled with coffee or tea to drink immediately, one filled with lemon and ice water for at my desk and another filled with soup for lunch. Four hours later I open that thing up and the soup is still piping hot. Ahhhhhhh.
I’m a longtime user of the bobble Insulate, but I’ve also been obsessively using the bobble Infuse for the last several months as well. It has this great little infuser that connects to the lid that can either house a carbon filter for purifying tap water OR any kind of fruit, veggie (LOVE throwing in cucumber), or herb. I often throw a couple slices of lemon in there which I try to drink in the morning because Oprah or Martha Stewart or Chrissy Teigen or Lady Gaga or someone told me it’s good for me.
And, as someone that’s kind of sort of a little bit into aesthetics, it doesn’t hurt that they come in a bunch of super cute colors. I’m also just a huge fan of the design overall—especially at the gym. There’s something very appealing about how it feels in your hand and the loop on top makes it super easy to grab when you’re on the move.
I highly recommend you check them out, and, if you’re looking for a great holiday gift for coworkers, family or friends, you can’t go wrong with these babies!
COAT: Kenzo x H&M | SHIRT: Brooks Brothers | SATIN SKIRT: H&M | SHOES: c/o SJP Collection | BELT: c/o Express (also love THIS ONE) | TIGHTS: Nordstrom | RINGS: c/o Mejuri | TOTE: c/o Lo & Sons | SUNGLASSES: Smoke x Mirrors
Thanks to bobble for partnering on this post!
By now, I think you know I’m all about a good dress. In case you missed it, this recent post rounds up all of my favorite looks for office holiday parties, offering a veritable panoply of festive dresses, separates and more. However, with lots of holiday parties in and out of the office, sometimes you just don’t feel like putting on another dress. Sometimes, and especially on December days when you’re freezing your tush off, you just need that closet comfort food—a good ol’ fashioned pair of pants. Is that too much to ask?
This season there are about a million insanely cool festive bottoms that will keep your legs covered, whether you’re headed to a casual holiday get-together or an upscale cocktail party. For a recent event, I took a breather from dresses and wore these amazing red satin wide leg pants (which also come in black!) with a coordinating red cold-shoulder top. It was a very mild evening so I was able to get away with this favorite fur vest, but the look translates perfectly to any kind of coat or jacket. You could even go fully monochromatic and wear this amazing red leather jacket that I love (I styled it here if you’re interested).
This is my first pair of satin pants (although I think I need to add THESE and THESE to the collection ASAP), and I honestly can not recommend them highly enough. I had a few moments where I looked down at myself during the evening and wondered momentarily whether I was living the “I forgot to put pants on” dream. Unsurprisingly, they feel exactly like wearing pajama pants, except they’re cool and socially acceptable. I have the true pajama-equivalent of these pants and judging by the stink eye I received when running to the mail room in them the other day, the actual pajama versions are notably less socially acceptable. Roger that, Judgy Lobby Lady. Roger that.
Aside from the comfortable glory that is a satin pant like the ones I’m wearing today, I’m swooning over all of the other festive pant options that I’ve included below. Many of these aren’t limited to the holidays either, so you can plan on wearing them to dressy occasions all season long. And, not to play favorites, but these sequined joggers, these awesome velvet pants and these houndstooth beauties are calling my name.
Also, while we’re on the subject of the season’s best bottoms. I just bought these leather leggings. Uhhh, fleece lined? I’m sorry, did you say FLEECE LINED?! Say hello to the pants I’ll be wearing basically every day for the next 4 months.
A couple of weeks ago I had the opportunity to go down to Washington D.C. for the unveiling of White House Black Market’s special Inaugural Dress Collection. It’s a special collection of formal dresses that they create every four years, taking inspiration from the iconic style of America’s First Ladies. As exemplified by the dress I’m wearing today, the collection is right up my alley—a perfect union of classic and modern. Just wait ’til you see the rest of their line up…
WHITE HOUSE BLACK MARKET INAUGURAL DRESS COLLECTION:
You may recognize this dress from my recent 30 Dresses in 30 Days Series, where it was my pick for Night at the Theater. I have to say, one of the best parts about moving back to NYC is having access to the world’s best theater. And as someone who is about as theater-obsessed as they come, I try to take advantage of all that Broadway (and the New York art scene at large) has to offer as often as possible. It was no surprise that the ideal way to spend my Sunday birthday a couple weeks ago was at Jessie Mueller’s amazing performance in the musical Waitress at the Brooks Atkinson Theatre. And thanks to my longtime friends at White House Black Market, I had just the dress for the occasion.
Whether you’re looking for the perfect dress for heading to the theater this holiday season (anyone going to the Nutcracker soon?!), holiday parties, New Year’s Eve or something else, this dress collection honestly can’t be beat. With this sequined sheath dress that I’m wearing in particular, the game-changer element for me are the long sleeves during winter months. I also have my eye on this long sleeve beauty for an event in January. Obsessed with that neck detail!
When looking for little black dresses, you usually find sleeveless or short sleeve options. However, I bought a long sleeve LBD for the first time a couple years ago and ended up wearing it like CRAZY. For me, a cocktail dress that covers your arms in the cold, allows you to wear black tights, and still manages to make you feel great is a major coup. With super comfortable stretch factor, very on-trend sequins, and the prettiest v-back, this one just doesn’t get better.
Thanks to White House Black Market for partnering on this post!
Today I’m offering up all the details on my very favorite gifts under $50! I don’t know about you, but at this time of year, it seems like random gift guides are everywhere, yet very few seem to have much substance. I always come away wondering who in the world would actually give these gifts? To avoid adding to the noise, I’ve carefully curated the following list with only things that I’ve tried first-hand—most of them gifts that I’ve actually given or received (or bought for myself along the way… shhhhhh). You can click on each item in the graphic below, but be sure to scroll to the bottom of this post where I provide detailed information on each item and why I think it makes for a fantastic gift. I hope these ideas help knock a few things off your list! If there are any great gifts you’ve found that I’ve missed, please share in the comments!!
THE BEST HOLIDAY GIFTS UNDER $50 // THE DETAILS
Happy shopping! Also, be sure to check back here tomorrow for something very special that I can’t wait to share with you!! xx
Today I’m thrilled to finally share the Fall / Winter 2016 Dress Memo! As you know, for the 30 days of November, I posted a new dress on instagram every day for a specific fall or winter occasion. And just like the first Spring/Summer edition, the ultimate goal was to culminate the series with the publication of the Dress Memo, a comprehensive guide to dressing for every occasion from winter date night, to office holiday parties, to New Year’s Eve, and even Super Bowl Sunday.
This series and the Dress Memo itself was borne out of the countless styling questions I’ve received over the years from readers about what to wear to different events and occasions. Questions like, what do I wear to a bridal shower? Or, what’s appropriate attire for my office holiday party? Or, I’m going to a black-tie wedding, do I have to wear a floor-length dress?
In addition to the fun of sharing my favorite dresses for the season, the Dress Memo is an effort to provide a true resource with additional ideas and styling advice for every tricky fall and winter occasion that might come your way—something that you could come back to and reference all season long.
My most sincere thanks to all of you who have followed the series. I hope you enjoy the Dress Memo as much as I enjoyed creating it, and I hope it serves as a helpful resource throughout the next many months!
The tree is lit, Celine’s Christmas album is on repeat (duh), and you’re making serious headway ticking off the holiday gift list. You are feeling all of those glorious eggnog-fueled holiday feels when suddenly you snap out of your holidaze and realize that you still have to go to work tomorrow. And the day after that. You just choked on your eggnog and a little went up your nose. All of the holiday feels exit stage left.
It’s a tough time of year to wrap your head around the fact that you still have to perform your adult human responsibilities when all you want to do is roast chestnuts by an open fire. Because that’s a thing and you just want to do ALL OF THE HOLIDAY THINGS.
(But seriously have any of you ever roasted chestnuts by an open (or closed, for that matter) fire?)
Welp, you might still have to go to the office every day, but there’s no reason you can’t bring a little holiday cheer with you. (No, not a flask. I’m not talking about bringing a flask.) I’m talking about amping up your everyday work style and bring those holiday vibes with you because the joy of the season doesn’t have to be checked at the door.
I spotted this beautiful jacquard pencil skirt at J. McLaughlin recently and thought it was the perfect versatile holiday piece to liven things up in and out of the office. First off, I love its shimmery shades of blue, navy and gold as festive alternatives to the standard red/green holiday uniform. Don’t get me wrong, nobody loves dressing up like a veritable Christmas tree every day for the month of December more than yours truly, but sometimes it’s nice to mix things up, you know? These colors also make the skirt more versatile after the holidays as well (major win), and for those days when you’re going straight from the office to a holiday party, dressing it up is a cinch! The sparkle factor of the jacquard is perfect for any holiday party, yet it’s still subtle enough to fly at the office during the day.
You’ve heard me wax on about fur stoles in the past, and this latest addition to my collection is easily one of my all-time favorites. Not only does it make for a super warm and cozy alternative to scarves in the cold December weather, but it can also totally transform even the most basic jacket. As you see from the first several photos above, I’m wearing a classic navy blazer—one of my favorite everyday pieces, but not necessarily something that screams “let’s party” when it comes to holiday dressing. However, slap a fur stole over that sucker and you just landed yourself some super festive (dare I say, chic?) outerwear.
If you’re looking for more quality pieces for the holidays and beyond, check out J. McLaughlin’s line up. I’m super into this skirt. And this sweater?! I would totes roast chestnuts by the fire in that. Just sayin’.
SKIRT: c/o J. McLaughlin | BLAZER: c/o J. McLaughlin | STOLE: c/o J. McLaughlin | SHOES: Jimmy Choo (similar HERE) | BAG: c/o Cambridge Satchel Co. | SHIRT: Theory (old, similar HERE) | TURTLENECK: Uniqlo | LIP: MAC
Thanks to J. McLaughlin for partnering on this post!
If you’ve checked out the Dress Memo, you’ve seen just about every possible holiday dress a girl could ask for. In addition to all of those festive dresses, I thought it would be fun to share some looks that are perfect for a laid-back holiday soirée or even a casual day at the office this season. I snagged this Smythe green velvet blazer recently at Nordstrom, and it has served me well throughout the holiday party circuit thus far. That rich emerald hue screams Christmas to me, yet it will be a great piece to have well after the holidays. Man, I am feeeeeling all of the velvet happening this season…
Especially if you’re a working girl that spends much of your Monday through Friday in a blazer, I highly recommend keeping an eye out for a Smythe blazer. They’re always coming out with the most beautiful cuts and fabrics, and the quality is top notch. It’s truly the kind of piece you’ll have for years and years to come.
Today, I’m wearing this velvet blazer casually with my favorite white turtleneck and distressed boyfriend jeans, but this puppy has serious versatility. You can dress it up with a little black dress or a mini skirt (love this one!) or make it even more holiday-ready with a pair of cute plaid pants (love these!!).
And of course, I would be remiss if I didn’t address the blingy holiday bow situation going on here. I thought my rhinestone days were well behind me, but couldn’t pass up this cutie for the holidays. Especially paired with ripped jeans, the girly addition was balanced out just right for me. I love the black, but it also comes in red and navy versions as well! The brand makes these bows too (obsessed!) and a slew of other cute accessories (antler headband, anyone?!) that provide the perfect festive touch. I also love these embellished collars that make for another super budget-friendly way to take basic pieces into full-blown holiday mode.
VELVET BLAZER: Smythe (also love this red one) | JEANS: Levi’s (sold out, similar HERE, HERE & HERE) | TURTLENECK: old, similar HERE and HERE | RHINESTONE BOW: Cara | BELT: Express (similar HERE) | SHOES: Saint Laurent (similar HERE) | EARRINGS: similar HERE | BAG: M2Malletier | LIP: MAC
Thanks to Nordstrom for partnering on this post!
You may recognize this coat from the list of things I bought on Cyber Monday. It’s been on constant rotation since I brought it out of the box—both in and out of the office—and I’m happy to report it’s on sale again today! That classic black and white glen plaid makes it both a statement piece and a closet staple, amping up anything and everything from ripped jeans to a little black dress. Today you can see I had fun pairing it with this pencil skirt in a coordinating print and throwing on these classic red pumps.
These red pumps are super fun to wear, especially during the holidays, but will be on constant rotation all-year-round. They’re a recent Ann Taylor score as well, and are actually the first time I’ve tried their “Mila” pumps. I’m completely floored (pun intended?) by the silhouette and fit—not a blister in sight after a long day, and the line and shape are suggestive of a much higher price point. I just went back to snag them in navy too.
These pictures were snapped en route to evening drinks where my black cold-shoulder knit served as the perfect day-to-night piece. It offered the perfect crew neck during the day under my blazer, which was ditched after meetings before hitting our favorite watering hole with friends. It comes in a few other beautiful colors as well, so if you’re looking for that perfect desk-to-drinks transitional piece, stock up today while they’re on major sale!
Thanks to Ann Taylor for partnering on this post!
I’ve been crushing hard on emerald this season which serves as a refreshing color option particularly during the holiday party circuit. This look is as perfect for Christmas Day as it is for the workweek, and unlike my ugly Christmas sweater dress from last weekend, it will be an outfit that works as well during the holiday season as it does deep into the winter months. (Just kidding. I’m totes wearing my Christmas llama all. year. long.) I was particularly drawn to this pencil skirt and beautiful coat, but my trusty friends at Banana Republic also made a coordinating suit jacket and pant too. And if that’s not enough, they also carried this delish emerald hue through to several other amazing pieces as well.
Much of my workweek involves racing from one meeting to the next all over the city, which means I’m often walking into conference rooms with my winter coat still on or slung over my arm. I’ve thus become a particular fan of the coordinating skirt-coat combo, a nice riff on a traditional suit with pieces I’ll be wearing both separately and together all season long.
This coat deserves special attention and is easily one of my very favorite finds of the season. The black piping makes for such a gorgeous finishing touch, as is that beautiful faux fur collar. To make things even better, the coat comes in petite, regular AND tall sizing (God bless you, BR!) and the faux fur collar is actually removable for days when you’re feeling a more laid-back outerwear option. I’m telling you though, the ability to add on that collar when you have a special occasion is huge. It’s surprising what an impact the addition has, which ends up making it seem like you actually have two different coats. And while we’re on the subject of dynamite coats, I don’t know what they’re putting in the water over there, but Banana Republic has been killing the outerwear game this season. I also snagged this coat a couple weeks ago and it’s basically the most immaculate, perfectly-fitting thing I’ve bought all year. I’m
pretty sure entirely sure my mom legit tried to steal it out of my suitcase before I flew back to NYC from Thanksgiving. She’s very sneaky.
COAT: c/o Banana Republic | SKIRT: c/o Banana Republic | CAMISOLE: c/o Banana Republic | NECKLACE: c/o Banana Republic | EARRINGS: c/o Banana Republic | TIGHTS: Nordstrom | SHOES: c/o Sam Edelman (also HERE) | BAG: Saint Laurent | HAIR BOW: similar HERE, HERE and HERE
Thanks to Banana Republic for partnering on this post!
There’s no question that the biggest shoe trend this fall and winter is the loafer, in all its menswear-inspired glory. Especially as temperatures drop and we settle into winter, it seems that it’s either loafers or a pair of booties that have been making it onto my feet in the last several weeks, and I don’t see that changing anytime soon. These Gucci mid-heel Marmont loafers were my favorite investment of the season and definitely a pair I’ll be wearing for years to come. I paired them with a classic black ankle-length trouser, turtleneck and maxi coat, but I absolutely love wearing loafers with skirts and dresses as well. You know that masculine-feminine combo always gets me, especially when it comes to workwear. Not only will they amp up your cool-girl factor this season, but they’re a classic, super comfy alternative to heels for long days at the office. If you’re just thinking about dipping your toe (#shoepuns) into the trend, check out some great look-alikes at all price points below!
Today, I’ve compiled the ultimate hit list of my favorite loafers below, and as you can see, the trend manifests itself in a million different ways, at all price points. There are classic loafers, heeled loafers, backless beauties, metallics, bright colors, everything. Wear them with tights and skirts, with bold socks and ankle pants, or simply with bare ankles and your favorite pair of trousers. I promise they’ll be the MVP of your closet this winter in and out of the office!
SHOES: Gucci | COAT: Topshop (similar HERE and HERE) | TURTLENECK: similar HERE and HERE | PANTS: Theory (old, similar HERE and HERE) | BEANIE: similar HERE | BELT: similar HERE and HERE | TECH GLOVES: Fownes Brothers | BAG: Saint Laurent | LIP: Nars (Bansar)
Thanks to Nordstrom for partnering on this post!
The embroidered statement collar on this blouse was just the vibrant touch needed to turn an otherwise cold, grey winter day on its head for me yesterday. I couldn’t love the statement collar more and the gold buttons down the front are just the cherry on top. I wore it very casually with these skinny jeans (check out the cool zipper on these babies!), metallic gold sneakers and my favorite glen plaid coat that you last saw in this recent post. I loved wearing the blouse dressed down yesterday, but know it will look just as great dressed up with a sleek black pencil skirt and pumps for a more formal day at the office. It’s exactly the kind of statement piece that works perfectly in and out of the office—offering up the great reminder that workwear can be every bit as exciting as off-duty style if you’re willing to think (and look) outside the box. Speaking of looking outside my typical box of favorite retailers—the top is actually from Storets. Have any of you tried them yet? This was actually my first-ever purchase and I was so pleasantly surprised. Really unique pieces at super affordable prices. I also snagged this coat and this coat/dress. Can’t WAIT to wear and share them.
Happy Friday and have a wonderful weekend!! xx
It’s crunch time! There are a mere five days until Christmas Eve and the start of Hanukkah so it’s time to knock out the rest of the ol’ gift list. Below are details on the best seven retailers that are still offering free shipping (and tons of sales) this week with for guaranteed delivery by 12/24. I’ve also listed the cut-off time for each retailer so you’ll know how much time you have left. If you’re still in need of some good ideas, check out the gift ideas in this post. Happy shopping!
Today’s Outfit Details:
We’ve had some brutally cold days here in NYC, but Rich and I head to Wisconsin for Christmas today and I’m thinking that our 30 degree NYC weather is going to sound balmy in pretty short order. There are few things that make bundling up for brutally cold weather more bearable than a statement coat like this beauty. The clean lines, double-breasted gold buttons and classic military vibes are right up my alley.
The beauty of a statement coat is that you can wear simple, comfy basics underneath without feeling frumpy. You may remember this similar military coat that I wore back in November with ripped jeans and a basic button down. Today, for a slightly more business formal spin, I’m wearing this favorite (super warm!) cashmere turtleneck sweater and these wide leg suit pants—two wardrobe staples that have gotten a ton of wear this season already.
FYI – If you happen to be looking for a really amazing Christmas gift for someone in your life (or for yourself!) this nude Dolce & Gabbana Sicily bag that you’ve seen my carry about a million times is currently 40% off! Whaaaa?! Cheers to crazy good Christmas sales.
COAT: Storets (also love THIS ONE) | TURTLENECK: Equipment | PANTS: Theory | BAG: Dolce & Gabbana | PUMPS: Jimmy Choo (similar HERE, HERE and HERE) | GLOVES: Fownes Brothers | EARRINGS: similar HERE, HERE and HERE | SUNGLASSES: Smoke x Mirrors | LIP: Nars (Bansar)
With Christmas in the rearview mirror, it’s a great time to snatch up some things that Santa may have forgotten during the craaaazy half-yearly sale at Nordstrom. Especially at these sale prices, doing a little post-Christmas shopping for yourself has never been more guilt-free. Quite frankly, I think it would be irresponsible not to take advantage. Who’s with me?
We had a magical white Christmas in Wisconsin with my family, and today are heading to sunny skies to thaw out a bit. As you can see from these pictures, Wisconsin was a true winter wonderland, and this olive wool maxi coat could not have been a more wonderful outerwear option to bring for the trip.
I’d been looking for an oversized olive coat like this for a long time, and snatched this one up the moment I saw it at Nordstrom. It far surpassed my expectations both in style and quality. Not only am I enamored with the ties around each cuff, but the back slit has the prettiest tortoise-shell snap buttons up the back, offering extra flexibility. When you’re trying to bundle up tight you can snap them closed and secure the wide belt with large round silver buckle in the front. Alternatively, you can unsnap them all and leave the coat draped open for an equally appealing look. With notched lapels, the perfect back storm vent, and the most beautiful 100% wool fabric, I think this just might be my very favorite coat of the season.
Whenever traveling, I always try to bring a lot of neutral hues that can be easily mixed and matched. I didn’t plan this look in advance, but the olive, black and cognac brown hues certainly coalesced nicely. No matter how many olive pieces I own, I’m always amazed by how unbelievably versatile the color is. Wear it with black, brown, navy, burgundy, grey, ivory—you name it, an olive coat is going to look perfect.
COAT: Topshop | TURTLENECK: similar HERE | JEANS: Paige | BOOTS: Stuart Weitzman (also love THESE on sale!!) | BEANIE: old, similar HERE | BELT: old, similar HERE and HERE | SCARF: old, similar HERE and HERE | GLOVES: Fownes Brothers
Thanks to Nordstrom for partnering on this post!
These floral loafers have been my favorites of the trip so far, perfectly fit for sunny December days here in San Diego. An affordable riff on the Gucci loafers adored by every fashion girl on the planet, these floral loafers have just the feminine meets masculine combination I can’t get enough of. Blush pink feminine print in a classic menswear-inspired bit loafer? Sign me up.
The loafers also come in a beautiful blue floral version as well as a classic black leather version and metallic silver. I’m especially eyeing up the silver version because I love the contrast of the gold buckle against the silver leather. I’m not sure who coined the phrase “statement staple” but it certainly rings true with these silver beauties—anything but basic, yet wearable with absolutely everything in your closet.
Thanks to Nordstrom for partnering on this post!
2016 has been an unforgettable year, and before we look towards new adventures in 2017, I wanted to share some of my favorite posts from the past twelve months. My most sincere thanks to each one of you for your kindness and support over the past few years that I’ve occupied this corner of the internet. I can’t tell you how truly grateful I am. Cheers to lots of exciting things to come in 2017! xx
— click on each individual image to go to the full post and outfit details —
Happy New Year! Sharing a casual beach look from our week in San Diego. It was the perfect time away to relax and unplug, enjoy family and soak in some sunshine before returning to the big apple. I hope you all had some time to rest up and recharge and that your 2017 is off to a great start!! xx
SWEATER: T by Alexander Wang | JEANS: Levi’s | BAG: DVF | SLIDES: Jenni Kayne | BELT: old, similar HERE | SUNGLASSES: Ray-Ban | CHOKER: c/o Argento Vivo | NECKLACE: c/o A. Jaffe | EARRINGS: similar HERE | LIP: Nars
Working in the world of fashion, e-commerce and technology means that some days it’s appropriate (even necessary!) to wear things that were definitively not part of my work wardrobe during my days in traditional corporate America. This look is a prime example, though really only in terms of the skirt length. Mini skirt aside, the blazer, tights and classic feel of the look would have been perfect for an average day at the office. For a more conservative spin, swap the mini skirt out for a pencil skirt like this one or this one.
If you’re looking for some fantastic basic turtlenecks, these are my absolute favorite. They look great worn solo, but the super fine ribbed knit fabric also allows you to layer them comfortably under anything (i.e. the ivory blazer I’m wearing today) without feeling like you’re wearing football pads. They also come in a million colors and are super affordable. I have them in navy, black, white and red. Two huge thumbs up.
As we’ve fallen into the depths of winter here in NYC, I’ve gotten tons of questions lately about my favorite tights and pantyhose. Today I’m wearing the brand Spanx, and these are definitely among my favorite pairs of opaque tights. I have a few additional favorite brands that I typically gravitate towards, but am going to do a bit more research testing out different kinds before I write up a post with my recommendations. Until then, I’m curious, do you have any particular favorites? Please share in the comments below if there’s a brand you really love!
SKIRT: Tory Burch (on sale!!) | SWEATER: Three Dots | BLAZER: Reiss (old, but LOVE this one on sale!) | COAT: Topshop | TIGHTS: Spanx | BOOTS: Stuart Weitzman | GLOVES: Fownes Brothers | SUNGLASSES: Smoke x Mirrors (similar HERE) | EARRINGS: Zara (old, similar HERE) | LIP: L’Oreal (in “Statement Nude“)
A trendy riff on the classic pants suit, this velvet blazer and tapered pant combo was the perfect ensemble for yesterday’s long day of work meetings. You know from this recent post that the velvet blazer is one of my favorite pieces of the season—easily dressed up for work or dressed down for casual drinks with friends. This navy beauty that I’m wearing today is a particular favorite because it somehow looks like a structured blazer, but feels like you’re wearing a comfy cardigan. Tt doesn’t have any the stiffness often felt when wearing a blazer and allows you to move easily and comfortably all day (and night). I’m also a particular fan of the black contrast trim along the shawl collar, which adds just the right finishing touch and makes it super wearable with your favorite black basics.
VELVET BLAZER: Elie Tahari | CAMISOLE: CAMI NYC | PANTS: Theory (old, similar HERE) | SHOES: SJP Collection | NECKLACE: c/o Mejuri (sold out, similar HERE, HERE, HERE and HERE) | EARRINGS: c/o Baublebar | RINGS: c/o Mejuri | LIP: L’Oreal (in “Statement Nude“)